Wednesday, May 4, 2011

New Music Tuesday

New feature to the blog time! For those of you that don't know, Tuesday is typically the day that record companies and bands release new music. So along that thinking I am going to review new music as it comes out. Now I may do this every Tuesday, or I might skip one here and there, depending on what is released.

There has been a few albums released in the past couple weeks that I have been interested in so for this post I am going to do a bit of catch up by talking about a couple of them, from oldest to most recent release.

1. Foo Fighters - Wasting Light. I love the Foo Fighters. I love pretty much everything that they have ever done. To me they are a classic rock and roll band, that kicks some serious ass. The last couple albums, before Wasting Light, I have to admit have been minor disappointments. They lacked something, they kind of mellowed out a bit too much for me. It was was like the Foo Fighters had lost their way. Well believe me they are definitely back in full force for this album. From the opening chord to the last beat, it's amazing. All of the songs are amazing, hard hitting rock anthems, that will probably make Wasting Light the best Foo Fighters album to date. It is apparent that Dave Grohl still has some issues surrounding Kurt Cobain's suicide and the end of Nirvana, that he decides to explore on this album. He decides to lets loose his anger and I'm glad he does, cause it makes for some really heartfelt songs like "I Should have Known". Overall this album easily has 5 or 6 potential big radio hits like "Bridge Burning", "Rope", "Dear Rosemary", and my favorite "Arlandria". If you are already a Foo Fighters Fan or just want to get an amazing rock album, pick up Wasting Light, you won't be disappointed. 5/5

2. Augustana - Augustana. Augustana has been becoming one of my favorite bands for a few years now. Their last album, Can't Love, Can't Hurt, was just amazing. In fact, one of the tracks from that album, "Dust" is probably on my list of top 10 favorite songs of all time. This album was a slight disappointment though. It doesn't have an sure fire hits on it like Can't Love, but it still is very good. However, if you like really good lyrics and melodies in your music then you will love this band because that is what they excel at. Writing songs that really bring you in while you listen to them. 4/5
3. Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part 2. Just released yesterday, this is the 1st Beasties album in seven years (they released an instrumental album, The Mix-up, in 2009). As I said in a previous post when I listened to Licensed to Ill, as part of the 1001, I really like the Beastie Boys, and Licensed is one of my favorite albums of all time. This album however is a Hot Mess. It is really sloppily produced and really doesn't seem to be going anywhere. The interlude songs are just dumb and besides "Make Some Noise" nothing really sounds like classic Beastie boy material. For fans of the boys I would say skip this one, as it will probably go down as their worst album. Hopefully when they release Hot Sauce Committee Part 1, yes part 2 was before part 1, it will be a return to form for them. 1/5

Great Video btw. Bonus points if you can name all the stars in it.

Next Tuesday Blue October releases "Ugly side" a live album from their last acoustic tour. Can't Wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment