Monday, May 9, 2011

Day 25: R.E.M - Automatic for the People

I have quite a bit of REM on my Ipod but for some reason they are rarely a band that I think of listening to if I am just randomly picking an album. Most of the albums I really like, and I think that REM is actually a really good band. According to a poll conducted of REM fans, this album is actually ranked as their best album to date. I would say it is probably top 3 for me with Monster and New Adventures in Hi-Fi a little better in my opinion. Automatic does have a lot of really great songs on it though. What really sets REM, and Michael Stipe specifically, apart is the song writing. He has definitely mastered the art of taking random thoughts and ideas and turning them into songs. I read somewhere one that the reason that REM doesn't print their lyrics in their CD booklets is because then people would realize how incoherent and confusing they are. I'm not sure if that is true but I could see where it could be.
What I love about Automatic specifically is the emotion that is in the songs. Drive, Everybody Hurts and Man on the moon are perfect examples of this and are amazing songs. If you have never heard this album before from start to finish I would definitely recommend it. I have a feel I might be listening to some more REM in the near future. 5/5 for turning ADD thoughts into songs

No comments:

Post a Comment