Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day 26: Billie Holiday - Lady in Satin

I have said it before and I'll say it again, I am really starting to get into these older 50s albums. They are sooo good. I think what I am enjoying about them is that they are so different and original. I can listen to them and really see the influence they have on modern music. Billie Holiday was no different. She paved the way for female singers today. Without her there is no Nora Jones.  She didn't have an amazing voice, from the one album I listened to, it was really rough and raw, but also unique and you can tell that she put a lot of emotion into every song.
Lady in Satin was her last album. The orchestral arrangements on the album are amazing, giving the album a relaxing tone to it. This is definitely a album you could put on after a long day at work, just crashing on the couch with the lights off, unwinding.
Billie died not long after completing the album, at the age of 44, from liver and heart disease, penniless, and a drug addict.  4/5 for paving the way for all other female singers.

No comments:

Post a Comment