Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day 55: Portishead - Dummy

A couple times now, since I started this blog, I have been surprised when I have listened to an album I haven't heard before, basically thinking "wow, where did this band and album come from and why haven't I heard it before, it is really amazing". This is one of those albums. I had heard of the band before but never listened to anything by them., but wow this album is really good. The sound kind of reminds me a little of Incubus, bass driven loops, sampling from other songs and some record scratching thrown in. The Singer has almost a ethereal type voice which she uses to really accentuate the songs, she reminds me of the Cardigans singer a little bit. There was song on the album that I had heard before, the second song "Sour Times", but didn't obviously know who the band was. It has a really cool sound to it, almost like it could be a song from a James Bond movie. I really liked the 4th song "It Could be Sweet" it had a really smooth jazzy type sound.
I really liked this album and would recommend it if you are looking for something new to listen to. 5/5

2 comments:

  1. I love Portishead , their self titled album is pretty good too, although not as good as Dummy in my opinion .. Not sure if you're familiar with Morcheeba or Massive Attack but if you like Portishead you would probably like them too... If you haven't already, check out Morcheeba's album " Big Calm " ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised at how good it was. I will probably take a listen to their other albums at some point. I was also surprised that, being as good as they are, they only have released 3 albums over the span of their career. Guess it is quality not quantity for them

    ReplyDelete