Saturday, June 4, 2011

Bonus New Music Tuesday Album

For obvious reasons, I like to listen to, and promote, albums by Canadians. Of course Canada has it's fair share of artists that don't produce albums that are anywhere near good. However, Canada also has it's fair share of musicians and bands that are excellent, world class artists, that produce albums as good, if not better than any other albums out there. The sad reality is, because they come from Canada, a relatively small music market, it is exceptionally hard for them to break out and gain world popularity. Their exposure to the listening public outside Canada is minimal.
One of these musicians is Matthew Good. He has been putting out excellent music since 1995, first as Matthew Good Band and then as a solo artist. This past Tuesday he released a new album "Lights of Endangered Species", but because I live in the USA, it was hard for me to get my hands on it. I eventually had to get it from Itunes. So now that I have it, and have had a chance to listen to it, I can say it is simply amazing. Matthew Good has  an ability to take really heartfelt lyrics and put them to music that accentuates the feeling of the song, whatever it may be. As a composer he has created some of the best music I personally have ever heard, "Zero Orchestra" and "Non Populus" being two examples from this album. He can also rock out too, and on this album he lets loose on "How it Goes" "What if I Can't See the Stars, Mildred?" and the albums first single "In a Place of lesser men". He is also very politically minded and incorporates a lot of political messages and ideas in his songs, not so much on this album but definitely on his last album "Vancouver" where a lot of songs are about the difficulties that the less fortunate people of Vancouver face daily. On the album prior, "Hospital", the songs were about different themes revolving around his time spent dealing with his mental illness.
I guess I am a little bit biased towards his music because he is Canadian, but at the same time every album he releases is really, really good, and he has yet to let me down. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment