Thursday, October 5, 2017

#210 Don McLean - American Pie

There are some songs that are iconic. The Beatles and Elvis, to name a couple, have many such songs. Songs that, if you are over a certain age, you have heard it. I would argue that the song "American Pie" is one such song. Play the opening of the song and I bet that almost everyone has heard it, and knows the lyrics.

The Rest of the album was pretty good, but a tiny bit too folk-y for me. The lyric writing was top notch though.

By the way, until now, I haven't really been paying much attention to album covers, which can be an important part of the overall package, so I'm going to pay more attention to them. This is a great album cover!

"American Pie" - The day the music died, if you don't already know, is in reference to the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper.



I found a list by the Recording Industry Association of America. They had people vote on songs and came up with a list of 365 "Songs of the Century", not necessarily by American artists. It represents what I was talking about when I said "Iconic" songs. American Pie is #5 on the list. here is the link: http://www.theassociation.net/txt-music5.html

Tomorrow's Album #696 Metallica - Metallica

No comments:

Post a Comment