Wednesday, July 20, 2011

New Music: Daniel DD Wassef - Someone Out There ...

So, last week my wife was flying up to visit a friend and she got to talking to the guy next to her. Turns out that he is a music artist that has just recently put out a CD. She of course tells him that I am writing this blog so he gives her a CD to give to me to have a listen to and review.
I've listened to it a few times now and I can say there were a few things that I liked about it and a few things I think could be better. First the likes. 1: The CD doesn't offer any credits at all so I have to assume that he is responsible for all the lyrics and music, which were both pretty good. Lyrically they were well written and didn't ever come across as thrown together or sloppy. Musically, if it was all written by and mixed by him it was really good. Some of the music was very well arranged and the addition of piano to some of the tracks was excellent. 2: This guy has a really good voice for a rapper (most rappers are tone deaf and can't sing worth crap). On a couple of the tracks he sings and I would say that his voice is as good as some of the R & B singers currently popular. In fact, since rap isn't really my thing, I'd like to hear an R & B album by this guy.
The major complaint that I have about the album is that at times he reverts to all of the stereotypes of the rap genre. I understand that rappers rap about the things they know about, their life experiences, I just wish that new rappers would break away from the songs about smoking weed, track 9 "Sixteen Ounces", and treating women like Ho's. People that love rap probably want to hear it, but for myself it turns me off of the genre. I also wish rappers didn't feel like they have to use profanity in their raps. To me it makes them seem less intelligent. Rap about whatever it is you want to rap about without throwing in the F word for emphasis or using a swear because you can't find a word that rhymes. For example, track 1 from the CD, "I'm a writer" is really good but I was put off by the swearing that seems unnecessary.  I use to love Eminem, but now every song of his is like a profanity onslaught, and I feel like other rappers feel they have to rap that way because of it. Be better than that.  
Overall this CD did have some good songs on it. "Music for the Dead" I really like and was probably my favorite. The Title track "Someone out There" is also really good and showcases his vocals more. If you like rap I would say that this album is a good investment for 6 or 7 of the songs that are really good, and I think this guy is probably going to have a pretty good career. 3.5/5
 BTW DD, if you happen to see this lets chat :)

1 comment:

  1. We all in the 863 LOVE DD! Can't wait till he makes it big time so we can all cheer him on!!!

    ReplyDelete