Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 64: Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold as Love

I have never listened to a Hendrix album all the way through. Like most people, I would imagine, I have heard the "hit" songs, Purple Haze, All Along the watchtower, but never liked them enough to want to hear more. After listening to it this album I'm not sure what all the hype is about. He is definitely an amazing guitar player, maybe one of the best, and for a lot of people that is enough. some of the songs were decent but again the style of music, psychedelic rock, just isn't my style.
It is also very strange to me that for a guy that only released 3 albums in a 2 year period before his death that such a huge legacy could be built. Sure he played a lot of live shows and had some unfinished recordings that could be released after his death, but from what I have seen most of his posthumous albums are just re-hashed re-designed forms of other albums, but they sell so I guess who am I to say whats good marketing.
Overall I would say that these albums are important for what they gave to future rock. I could really hear the influence Hendrix had on other artists. I can hear some of his style, especially in artists like Lenny Kravitz, and Prince. For that I would say they are essential albums. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment