Monday, July 25, 2011

Day 70: The Beatles - Rubber Soul

What can I possible say about The Beatles that hasn't already been said a million times in the last 50 years? More importantly what can I say about The Beatles that isn't going to get me in trouble. Do I think that they were an extremely influential band? Of course they were, probably the most influential band of all time.
Do I also think that they are extremely overrated? Yes I do. In my opinion a good portion of their songs are really pretty amateurish compared to today's standards. Their very basic simple cord arrangements pair with drug induced lyrics that sometimes leave you scratching your head. However, that doesn't mean that they aren't catchy songs, and their simple nature is part of their charm. Part of my issue, I'm sure, is the fact that I wasn't alive when these guys were tearing up the charts, so I don't really understand how original and new their music was at the time.
Of course I have heard a ton of Beatles songs and do have a few favorites. Amazingly enough a couple of them happened to be on Rubber Soul, though I had no idea. Norweigan Wood and Michelle I have liked for a long time and I would say are probably in my top 5 Beatles songs. The album also had 5 or 6 other songs that are immediately recognizable and another 5 or 6 I had never heard before.
I'm not a fan of The Beatles, I openly admit it. I do however understand how important they were to getting music to where it is today, and for that alone they deserve the praise they get. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment