Friday, July 13, 2018

#363 Rush - 2112

Being Canadian I almost feel like it is my duty to like Rush. I have never, however, listened to any of their albums before now. Mostly because they are before my time, also because 70's classic rock is not my favorite genre and lastly because the few songs that I have heard I didn't really like all that much. Geddy Lee's voice is a bit too much on the side of squelching for my taste. I will admit though, Neil Peart is a phenomenal drummer, possibly one of the best ever.

This album, the band's fourth, was not a huge success when it was released but has, over the years become a fan favorite. The Centerpiece of the album is the 20 minute opening track. It tells the story of a future time when people are not allowed to be individuals or be creative. The man in the song finds a lost artifact, a guitar, in a cave and starts creating music.

I didn't love the album for reasons already listed, but it wasn't bad as I thought it was going to be either.

"2112"

Tomorrow's Album #461 Joy Division - Closer

No comments:

Post a Comment