Friday, November 17, 2017

New Music: Barenaked Ladies - Fake Nudes & Morrissey - Low in High School

I have liked the Barenaked Ladies for a long time now. I don't think that the band is as good as it once was, or since fellow lead singer Steven Page left the band a number of years ago. This album starts out pretty strong. The first 5 songs, minus "Invisible Fences", are really good. The rest of the album is just average. The big problem that I have with it is since Steven Page left the band, more and more songs on each album are being written and sung by Kevin Hearn or Jim Creeggan. On this album there are 7 of the 14 songs by them and they just aren't very good. The lyrics are not as good as what Ed Robertson writes and they just can't sing very well. In my opinion the band just needs to have Ed write and sing the songs.


"Canada Dry" - love the Canada references


"Bringing it Home"


"Lookin' Up"




A couple months ago I listened to my first full Morrissey album, and I really liked it. I then started to listening to his other albums and to some Smith's albums. I kind of feel like his music is an acquired taste and today's new album is more of the same. I really like it but the songs are a little bit odd and I'm not sure what the subject matter in a few of them, but oh well they are still good. Anyone who hasn't listened to him before I say give this album a shot, and then go back and listen to his older stuff, it's quite good.





"My Love, I'd Do Anything For You"


"Spent the Day in Bed"


"I Wish You Lonely"


No comments:

Post a Comment