Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 81: Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

I. Love. This. Album. But it wasn't always this way. The first time I ever heard this album I was standing in line to buy INXS concert tickets. Now this was way back in the day when u couldn't just go on the internet and grab your tickets. If it was a really popular band u would go stand in line for hours before they went on sale so that you could make sure and get some. Anyways, the people in front of us had a ghetto blaster, which for you young-ins is a portable stereo. These people were playing, although I didn't know at the time who it was, this album. But that's not the best or the worst part. It was the only thing they had to play so they just kept playing it over and over for hours. I didn't count but I bet that they played the whole thing between 8 and 10 times. By the time they had got their tickets and left I was absolutely sick of it. I hated it. I never wanted to hear it again.
Fast forward a few months. I'm out at a dance and the DJ plays "Add It Up" and I have forgotten all about the previous experience. This time I'm totally into it, and ask the DJ, cause I still don't know who the band is, who it is so that I can go out later and get the album. Ever since that time I have loved this album.
What I love so much about it is its simplicity. The songs are simple and extremely catchy, and you can crank it and sing along knowing that you probably aren't singing any worse than the lead singer. So to make a long story short, if you have never heard this album you have got to give it a listen, I promise that it will grow on you and you will love it as much as I do. And to those random people in front of me in the line that day, thank you for inadvertently introducing me to one of my all time favorite albums. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment