Saturday, July 15, 2017

#433 The Cure - Seventeen Seconds

So this is my first review of a Cure album. In fact, I checked, and there are only two Cure albums that made the list. Yes only two! I know I couldn't believe it either.

I have a favorite album of all time, Depeche Mode - Violator, which I reviewed a few weeks ago, and I probably have a list of top 10 favorite songs, but that would be much harder to pick. I have a favorite solo artist - Prince, and I have favorite artists of different genre's. If I were pick an overall, all-time favorite band, of any genre, it would have to be The Cure. Even though Blue October has to be my favorite band, it is the nostalgia factor that puts The Cure on the pedestal.

Like I mentioned, there are only two Cure albums on the list. I'm not going to argue if the two, this one and Disintegration, are the two that should be on it, since I'd probably put 5 or 6 of them on the list. O.k. I will argue it. Definitely Disintegration should be on the list but if I could only put one other I'm not sure it would be Seventeen Seconds. It is very indicative of the bands earlier sound. It is a classic Cure album for sure. It is very simple, yet complex, and contains one of their best songs, A Forest. But...if there can be only 2 albums on the list I'd probably have to replace this one with "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me". It is sooooo good and was the very first Cure album I ever heard and it hooked me on the band. There is that Nostalgia creeping in again.

"A Forest"


BTW I have had the opportunity to see them twice now in concert, the second time just a year ago, and there is no band out there that I know of that plays 30+ songs every single concert. Just amazing. 

Tomorrow's Album #679 The Boo Radleys - Giant Steps

No comments:

Post a Comment