Friday, May 5, 2017

#66 The Rolling Stones - Aftermath

I believe you like the music you like. I know that sounds like a "duh" statement but it's true. I believe the music that you like is influenced by a number of factors, starting from a young age. As a child you probably liked the music that you heard relatives listening to. As you grow older you branch out and "learn" to like other styles of music, probably influenced by the time period that you grow up in and probably the music that friends like.

I also believe that there is some sort of internal component, maybe genetics, that draws you to certain types of music, allows you to tolerate other types and causes you to all out "hate" other types.

Since starting this blog I'd say probably 85% or more of the albums I have never heard before and while I haven't loved them all and some of them I have outright disliked, most of the time I have "suffered" through the album to the end. Most of the time I haven't wanted to turn the albums off.

I know this next statement is not going to be liked by a huge population of people, sorry Mom, but I just can't listen to The Rolling Stones. To me it is listening to fingernails on a chalkboard, and I just want it to end. Now I know that they are insanely popular, and they have written some of the biggest classic rock hits ever, and it's not that Mick Jagger is a terrible singer or that the band isn't talented, I just don't like their music.

This album. btw, starts off with "Paint it Black" probably one of their biggest songs ever and a song that has been covered by other artists numerous times, at least 50 from what I could find. Fun fact, unfortunately for the band they sold the rights to the song to a manger in the late 60's so every time it is used in any way or covered the band doesn't see a penny of the money



Tomorrow's Album #669 P.J. Harvey - Rid of Me

No comments:

Post a Comment