Wednesday, September 19, 2018

New Music - Demob Happy

Riley and I went to the Nothing But Thieves concert last night, who are an amazing band in their own right and I already knew that I was going to like them, but who I was really impressed with was the opening band - Demob Happy.

Waiting in line to get in we decided to look up who was opening for NBT, and discovered it was actually two openers, Demob and Grandson. Normally I am not a big fan of two openers, mostly because by the time the band that you are there to see finally comes on you have been standing on a concrete floor for a number of hours and because I find that openers are usaully a band that you have never heard of and are just kind whatever. Opening bands typically have a hard time getting the crowd into their music because no one knows any of it and so everyone just kind of stands there and claps after each song is done. Well last night definitely the exception to the rule.

Demob Happy, from Newcastle, England, came out first at 7:30, which was much appreciated, and they had everyone into their music right from the start. Their music is super-loud, alt-rock with a bit of a 70's vibe thrown in. They actually remind me a little of Queens of the Stone Age. They were very energetic and very entertaining, playing song after song of in your face rock. I was super impressed with them and feel like show that they gave was good enough to be a headlining show for sure. I would have been happy to listen to them for much longer than the 1/2 hour that they played. After the concert was over I was able to talk to them for a few minutes at the merchandise stand and they were all very nice. I would definitely see them again if they ever come back.

"Be Your Man"

"Dead Dreamers"

"Loosen It"

The second opener was Grandson, who is a musician originally from Toronto, but now based in L.A I would classify him as very similar in style to Rage Against the Machine, as his music is very socially-concious rap-rock. I think he is more popular that Demob, since he has had some radio success here in the US. Once again he was super entertaining and had the crowd in to his music from the first minute.

"Blood // Water"

After Grandson it was NBT, who, even though I had never seen them before, were as good as I expected them to be. All around it was a great concert from start to finish.


No comments:

Post a Comment