Friday, August 17, 2018

#739 Jamiroquai - Emergency on Planet Earth

There are a couple misconceptions about Jamiroquai until now. First, I thought Jamiroquai was the name of the person, not the name of the band. I also thought that they were pretty much a one hit wonder, with the only song I have ever heard, "Virtual Insanity" being their only hit. Turns out they have released a number of albums and have had some pretty good success, selling 26 million albums world wide.

What I got from their sound, from this album at least, it may be different on others, is that they sound a lot like the kind of music Stevie Wonder makes. It's funk with a lot of synthesizer and the songs have a lot of social references. The singer even sounds a lot like Stevie. Overall it was a pretty good listen. My only complaint is most of the songs are 6+ minutes, and usually I find longer songs just end up getting repetitive.

"Revolution 1993"

Tomorrow's Album #225 Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate

No comments:

Post a Comment